Undeclared Advising - Policies

UC Merced Academic Policies

Students are responsible for knowing UC Merced academic policies as outlined in the University Catalog and on the Office of the Registrar’s website. Contact your academic advisor if you have questions about how a policy might apply to your situation.

Undeclared Advising Policies

Repeat Overrides

Course repeats are done with advisor permission only. Students may request to repeat a maximum of 4 courses. If students have reached the maximum number of course repeats, they may continue attempting the course at another institution.  If a student cannot pass a course after this many subsequent attempts, however, it is strongly recommended that these students choose another major.

First-time repeats can be requested through email to your academic advisor. Your email should include:

  • Full Name
  • UC Merced ID#
  • Intended Major (or majors, if still exploring)
  • Course that you'd like to enroll in
  • Term you'd like to enroll
  • Brief explanation of why you feel you will be successful in this course

Subsequent repeats of the same course must be requested through submitting a Subsequent Repeat Form for the School that houses the course.

School of Engineering (e.g. CSE, ENGR, ME)

School of Natural Sciences (e.g. CHEM, BIO, MATH)

School of Social Sciences, Humanities and Arts (e.g. ECON, MGMT, PSY)


Course Prerequisites Overrides


Many major and upper division courses require pre-requisites that must be completed (or be in progress) prior to enrollment. Students who satisfy pre-requisites with transfer coursework (AP scores or summer courses at another institution) may need a registration override until their credit has been received and entered into their academic record. 

To request a one-time pre-requisite override, please email your undeclared advisor with the following information:

  • Full Name
  • UC Merced ID#
  • Course that you'd like to enroll in
  • Proof of pre-requisite completion (PDF or screenshot of academic transcript)

Note: You must submit official transcripts to the Registrar's Office immediately after course completion as advisors will not place overrides for more than one semester of enrollment.

Enrollment in Excess Units (more than 18)

In order to register for more than 18 units, students must submit a written request via email to their Undeclared advisor or submit an override request. Students may request enrollment in excess units if they meet the following criteria:

  • Good academic standing
  • Cumulative 3.0 GPA or better or 3.3 GPA in most recent Fall/Spring semester


Enrollment in Excess Units for Summer Sessions

Students are advised to take no more than 12 units during Summer Session at UC Merced. Units above the maximum advisable amount are allowed only with permission of a students' academic advisor. To request excess units during summer sessions, please email your advisor or submit an override request.


Information for Demajored Students

The purpose of the demajoring process is to aid students who would have otherwise been dismissed from UC Merced. The demajored program is for freshman and sophomore students who are struggling in their declared major and will benefit from the opportunity to become undeclared. As an undeclared student, you can explore other majors that are more in line with a students interests and strengths.


A few things to keep in mind:

    You are requried to maintain a miniumim semester and cumulative grade point average of a 2.0. Failure to achieve the minimum GPA of a 2.0 may result in academic dismissal from the university. Refer to Academic Standing Policy.

    You must return to good academic standing (minimum 2.0 semster and cumulative GPA) and complete all of the lower division requirements in order to declare/change your major.

    You do not qualify to withdraw from any fall semester course after the drop deadline.

    Academic Success is dependent on your ability to utilize campus resources. A college experience should be a challenge and not an academic struggle.


De-majored students are strongly encouraged to transfer into a school which they have already shown to be successful. Requirements for declaring a major after being de-majored are below.


Social Sciences, Humanities, and Arts

Freshman and Sophomores (60 units or less)

  •       Overall 2.0 UC Merced GPA
  •       Current Semester GPA of 2.0
  •       Complete all lower division major preparatory courses with at C- or better and have a 2.5 average GPA in all SSHA courses.


Freshman and Sophomores (60 units or less)

  •       Overall 2.0 UC Merced GPA
  •       Current Semester GPA of 2.0
  •       Complete MATH 21, PHYS 8, CSE 20, CSE 21, MATH 22, PHYS 9, CHEM 2, MATH 23, and MATH 24.
  •       (ME 21 can be taken in place of CSE 20 and CSE 21)

 Natural Sciences

Freshman and Sophomores (60 units or less)

  • Overall 2.0 UC Merced GPA
  • Science and Engineering GPA of 2.5
  • Current Semester GPA of 2.0
  • Complete all lower division major preparatory courses with a C- or better