Office Hours

About the Bobcat Advising Center

Welcome to the Bobcat Advising Center!  We are the academic advising home for all first year students in every major entering UC Merced in Fall 2018 or after.  We are also the academic advising home for all undeclared students in every class year.  Our academic advisors are here to support you on your educational journey and help you identify ways to maximize your UCM experience.

Each academic advisor in the Bobcat Advising Center (BAC) has one hour of walk-in advising per day during Spring 2019 in addition to appointments that may be scheduled in advance.  Walk-in hours are limited to 10-15 minutes per student and are a great option for quick questions or urgent situations.

All first year and undeclared students are also expected to meet with their BAC advisor in at least one appointment per semester.  Appointments are a great opportunity to discuss your academic, career, and personal goals as well as complete advance planning for your degree requirements (GE, major, minor), summer courses, co-curricular activities to support your goals, and more.  See for your academic advisor's Calendly (electronic calendar system) link.

​Contact an Academic Advisor

Walk-in Hours

Regular Spring 2019 walk-in hours--April 15th through end of spring semester:

    Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
Kenya Alas First years: A, B, F 10:30-11:30 9:45-10:45 2-3 1:30-2:30 10-11
Mel Barbers First years: C, D, E, U 10:30-11:30 1-2 9-10 1-2 2-3
Francisco Bucio

First years: I, J, K, M

10:30-11:30 9-10 9-10 11:30-12:30 1-2
Janelle Fry First years: L, N, P 3-4 2-3 12-1 10-11 8:30-9:30
Angelica Gomez Avina First years: O, Q, R, V 12:30-1:30 10-11 2-3 1:30-2:30 11-12
Ashley Mansfield

First years: G, H, & W


2nd & 3rd year undeclared A-Z

11-12 1-2 3:30-4:30 9-10 3-4
Lucia Ramirez-Munoz First years: S, T, X, Y, Z 2:30-3:30 11-12 10-11 12:45-1:45 8:45-9:45



Office location: COB2 261

Main phone number: (209) 291-9739

    Requesting an Override

    Overrides may be needed to register for certain classes at UCM.

    All override requests should be submitted directly to your assigned academic advisor (see above) at least 2-3 business days before your assigned registration time.  Send override requests from your UCM email account only.  You can also send messages to the general office email at  Include your name, ID#, intended major(s), the course in which you wish to enroll, and the reason that you need an override.


    Undeclared students wishing to enroll in MATH 21, MATH 22, PHYS 8, or PHYS 9 must submit a request for a MAJOR override. Only students who plan to major in Engineering, Applied Math, Chemistry, or Physics need to enroll in these courses.  Speak with your assigned academic advisor for more information.


    UCM policy allows students to repeat a maximum of 16 units in which you earned a D+ or lower grade.  If you think you may need to repeat a course, it is best to meet with your assigned academic advisor in person during walk-in hours or an appointment to discuss how repeating the course may affect your academic progress, intended major, academic standing, graduation plan, post-graduate plans, and more.

    You must request a "repeat override" from your assigned academic advisor for any course you hope to repeat.  To submit a repeat override request, email your advisor directly from your UCM email account.  Include your name, UCM ID number, intended major(s), and the course you wish to repeat.

    If you are trying to repeat a course for a third time (or more), you will need to fill out the "Petition for Second or Subsequent Repeat" form which can be found on the Registrar's website.


    You will need to plan your classes each semester so you do not have time conflicts between your classes.  If there is a time conflict, you should look at alternate sections (different times) of one of the classes or look at alternate classes that fill other requirements that you still need to complete to graduate.

    UCM policy does not allow students to enroll in classes that meet at the same time or have final exams at the same time unless the student has advance consent from both instructors.  In the extremely rare case where you think you might need to enroll in two required courses with a time conflict, you would need to meet with both instructors in advance to obtain permission by using the Time Conflict Override Form.